Hot forging is required when large amounts of plastic deformation are needed to form the part. The advantage is increased ductility and no need to strain (work) harden the metal.
Advantages and Benefits of Hot Forging
- Heating of materials up to 2,200º F for easy forming
- Near net forming of expensive metals
- Heading methods flow materials for better tensile strength
- Great for highly complex shapes and exotic materials
- Lower production costs from reduced scrap
- Stronger parts with fewer burrs and edges